How Often Should You Rotate Your Tires?
The conventional rule for most vehicles is that tires need to be rotated every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. While this is a great place to start, for exact figures pertaining to your BMW tire rotation schedule, you should check your owner’s manual. Want more information on what factors impact tire rotation? Read through this simple guide from the folks at BMW of Peoria, your Pekin-area trusted service center.
Rotating Tires on FWD and RWD Vehicles
With a front-wheel drive vehicle, power is sent to the front wheels, and with a rear-wheel drive vehicle, the engine’s power is sent to the rear wheels. It might not sound like that would matter, but the wear patterns will depend on which wheels are receiving the power from the engine — and it’s an important reason to keep up with regular tire rotations. Find out more about FWD and RWD tire rotation:
- With both FWD and RWD cars, tire rotation needs to be performed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
- When performing a FWD tire rotation yourself, make sure to flip sides when moving the rear tires. So the rear right tire would get moved to the front left position. However, when moving the front tires to the back, keep them on the same side.
- If you’re rotating tires on a RWD car, invert the process above. Switch sides when moving the front tires to the back, but when moving the rear tires forward keep them on the same side.
- Know that how and where you drive your car, like hitting rough terrain off-roading, will ultimately affect how often you need to rotate your tires. Find a maintenance schedule that fits your driving habits by talking to the service experts at BMW of Peoria.
AWD Tire Rotation Tips
Current guidelines set the standard intervals for an AWD tire rotation at 3,000 to 5,000 miles — this is due to the variable nature of most all-wheel drive systems. Again, always remember to check your owner’s manual for the exact figures for your vehicle.
Why Rotate Tires?
While extending the life of your tires is the most talked about benefit to regular tire rotations, there are numerous other benefits for Dunlap drivers:
- Improved traction on slippery roads due to even tread wear
- Less noise on the road
- Relieves unnecessary stress on the drivetrain
To be better prepared for hazardous weather around Galesburg, keep tire rotations as part of your maintenance plan.
Do BMW Vehicles Need Tire Rotations?
Now that we’ve gone over a rough BMW tire rotation schedule, it’s time to address a pretty common question: what if the automaker says you don’t need to rotate your tires? Even a state-of-the-art vehicle says that a tire rotation is not necessary, it’s still a good idea to have one done periodically. No vehicle system or suspension is going to counteract that your daily commute has more left turns than right (or vice versa), and uneven wear can lead to unpredictable — and thus unsafe — driving behavior.
Get Your Tire Advice From BMW of Peoria
If you can’t remember the last time you performed a tire rotation, don’t hesitate to schedule service at BMW of Peoria. Even if you stay true to your BMW tire rotation schedule, tires don’t last forever. If you are in need of a new set visit our tire center in Peoria today. You can also get more automotive tips at BMW of Peoria like where to get a BMW oil change!
Service Specials From BMW of Peoria
1720 W. Pioneer Pkwy., Peoria, IL
Service: (309) 316-0931
More From BMW of Peoria
With the BMW X7 configurations, Pekin shoppers don’t have to choose between world-class amenities or a robust performance. The 2019 BMW X7 is a three-row Sports Activity Vehicle® that allows you to have it all. Learn more about the BMW X7 price and configurations with BMW of Peoria today. Learn More View Inventory BMW X7 Price With…
Peoria, IL is one of the larger metropolitan cities in the entire state, with an established university and tons of history that attracts visitors regularly. Whether you live in nearby Pekin or you are headed in from out of town, make your trip to Peoria memorable with this list of things to do in Peoria….
Opting for leather upholstery in a new vehicle instantly upgrades your Pekin drives with a luxurious feel and look. To keep your leather interior looking good and top condition, proper care is important–check out our leather seat care guide at BMW of Peoria, use BMW car care products, and contact us if you have any questions! Contact…